PaulDotCom mailing list archives

CCNA cert

From: nils at hemmann.de (Nils)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 11:37:32 +0100 (CET)

I was into system and network administration and I was pretty familiar
with enterprise level Cisco gear for quite a while before I got my CCNA in
2006 (time for renewal in 2009)
My company paid for a CCNA boot camp that time but didn't pay for the
actutal exam.
So I started a self pace study after the class. During my preparation I
used pass4sure / testking material to get a better feeling for what's in
the exam. But one thing for sure, you can't pass the exam if you'd rely
solely on pas4sure etc. and if you don't know what you are talking about.
Cisco certs are pretty difficult to pass and they change the exams
frequently and adapt them to recent changes in technology.
But still, learning for and finally passing the exam was one of my best
decisions professional wise. I totally agree with Carl, you learn the
basics and more. Minor stuff is vendor specific but most of it can be used
on any equipment. I think for a security guy or pentester it is essential
to know these networking basics (Layer2 / 3 networking)

Actually taking the CCNA exam was my start into security carrier wise and
into the pauldotcom community. You guys rock!

Right now I'm trying to get prepared for the C|EH exam.
Anyone an opinion on that?

Thanks,
Nils

I got my CCNA in 2000 and it was a nice jumping off point for the rest of
my
networking career.  In studying for the CCNA, I learned a lot about basic
routing & switching, simple protocols and subnetting-  the kinds of things
that seem second nature to me today.

I never thought about applying security knowledge to the CCNA course, but
it's definitely a solid groundwork for anything network related.

As with any Cisco exam, there is a big difference in knowing the material
and passing the test.

Let me know if you have any questions along the way, I'll be happy to
help.

Carl