Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: How to correctly reply to the Nmap-dev list?

From: 食肉大灰兔V5 <hsluoyz () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 14:38:24 +0800

Hi Fyodor,

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,
Yang

On Thu, Oct 20, 2016 at 1:27 PM, Fyodor <fyodor () nmap org> wrote:

On Sun, Oct 2, 2016 at 10:44 PM, 食肉大灰兔V5 <hsluoyz () gmail com> wrote:

This is because when I reply to a mail sent through the Nmap-dev list,
the receiver private mail is the "To" address, and the Nmap-dev list is the
"Copy" address. It's not problematic at my side because I copied my reply
to the list. But it then goes wrong when the other side tries to reply to
my mail. Because I also replies to his private address, when he replied to
me, he just intends to reply to my private address without sending/copying
it to the Nmap-dev list.

Hi Yang.  This is one of those perpetual debates about whether it is
better to use reply-to munging or followup headers to make replies go to
the list by default or leave it alone and have replies go privately to the
sender (or however the sender specified in their message headers).  The
risk of the first approach is that people might accidentally send private
information to the public list, while the risk of the 2nd is that people
might end up replying privately when they want their message to be public.

Here are the classic arguments for both sides:

   - "Reply-To" Munging Considered Harmful: http://www.unicom.com
   /pw/reply-to-harmful.html
   - Reply-To Munging Considered Useful: http://marc.merlins.or
   g/netrants/reply-to-useful.html
   <http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/reply-to-useful.html>
   - “Reply-To” Munging Still Considered Harmful. Really.:
   http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html
   <http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html>

Right now the list just leaves the headers alone.  We're probably not
going to change the list default right now, but you can always set the
headers of your emails to the list just the way you want them, assuming
Gmail or whatever other mail client you choose to use supports that.

For example, take a look at David Fifield's message to the list from
2016-09-18.  It includes this header:

When I do the reply or reply-all options in my mail client to this mail,
it just goes to the list.  But for most other list messages (without this
header), reply goes just to the sender and reply-all goes to the sender an
the list.

So you could adding a header like the one above to your mail to the list
if your client supports it.  Otherwise, I guess we just have to hope that
people reply-all when they want to include the list, and just normal reply
if they are sending you a giant dump file or similar and don't want it to
go to the list.

Cheers,
Fyodor