Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Doubt about nmap -sP

From: Jacek Wielemborek <d33tah () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 13:25:54 +0100

W dniu 16.12.2016 o 05:03, Sundhar pisze:
hi all,
             I am new to nmap. I faced a problem while learning, I
scanned my home network with nmap -sP 192.168.225.1/24
<http://192.168.225.1/24> the result included my laptop and the gateway
but it did not contain my two android phones.so, I performed the scan
again. This time the result  included all the devices. After seeing this
I tried scanning for few more times and I realized that sometimes the
scan is listing all devices and sometimes it isn't. (did not contain the
2 android phones). can anyone tell me what might be the reason?

What conditions change? For example, do you get your phone up from
standby between tests? Like in first test (where the phone isn't
discovered) has the phone been in standby for a long period, then you
acivated it before the second attempt and it re-connected to the network?

Or could it be that you had one attempt as a regular user and the other
as root? I wouldn't be surprised if Nmap's host discovery was more
effective as root, where it could also send ARP queries.

Also, keep in mind that in current nmap, -sP is now -sn. -sP is only
kept for compatibility purposes.