Nmap Development mailing list archives

DH parms fingerprinting, was: Re: IPv4 OS Fingerprint Integration Highlights

From: Frank Bergmann <nmap () tuxad com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 19:20:07 +0100

On Thu, Nov 24, 2016 at 09:58:50AM -0600, Daniel Miller wrote:
[...]

Hello,

I'm using Daniel's email as an "anchor" to send an email regarding
"fingerprinting" (see below).

Short introduction of myself:
I subscribed the dev list several weeks (or months) ago. I live in Germany and
work with Apple and *nix systems for many years. And I'm not a native english
speaker as you might already have noticed. ;-)

Now back to "fingerprinting":
In the last weeks I discovered that it is sometimes possible to identify
software or even hardware (appliances) by just "fingerprinting" the DH
parameters. If you make an SSL connection (mostly tested with smtp/starttls) and
you get DH parms i.e. with SHA1sum 0de6ac94b35b9a347c85d495d67e6c6f3c79750d then
it is haproxy or 7af9dbc91bea633a6769e1dcea63262d2cee4797 for IronPort.

And now my question to the list:
Do you think that it makes sense to do more research for "DH parms
fingerprinting" and maybe extend nmap with scripts for this?

regards,
Frank