Nmap Development mailing list archives

IPv6 Fingerprint Integration Highlights

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2016 16:29:35 -0600

As always, IPv6 gets fewer fingerprint submissions, but between January and
September we got a whopping 43 submissions and corrections! Many of these
were variations on already-detected OS types, but these are greatly
appreciated as they serve to make our machine learning model more robust.

Here's what changed since the last time we sent out highlights:

-group Apple Mac OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) - 10.11 (El Capitan) or iOS 6 - 9.1
(Darwin 13.0.0 - 15.3.0)
+group Apple OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) - 10.11 (El Capitan) or iOS 6 - 10.0
(Darwin 13.0.0 - 16.0.0)
  Expanded this group to include iOS 10. Apple doesn't seem to be as strict
in iOS with the correlation of TCP Window Scale factor with OS version as
they are with OS X.

-group Apple AirPort Extreme WAP
+group NetBSD
  We always reported Apple AirPort as running on NetBSD, but now that we
got some vanilla fingerprints, we had to make the group name more general
to reflect that they are indistinguishable.

+group Cisco IOS XE 15
  One of the only truly new groups was Cisco's IOS XE.

+group Microsoft Windows 8.1 or Windows 10
  This new group is for localhost Windows fingerprints, which are newly
made possible with the inclusion of Npcap in Nmap 7.25BETA1 and later.

And existing groups were expanded to cover Linux 4.4, FreeBSD 10.3, and
OpenBSD 5.9.

Looking forward to more submissions. Happy scanning!

Dan