Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ICMP packets on a local subnet?

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 08:11:17 -0600

On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 10:46 PM, Mike . <dmciscobgp () hotmail com> wrote:

so help me here. i appologize if this question is dumb. i wanted to throw
some packets at my local router and TIVO box, mainly ICMPs to see the
response and what got accepted. apparently this cannot be done? even if i
suppress the scan option and go directly with a ping scan i keep seeing
nmap forcing the ARP attempt to discover. is there a way to supress this to
fire off said ICMPs? i am on windows so send-ip is out of the question
(doens't work anyway, i tried) here is the output

The option you are looking for is --disable-arp-ping. You can read more
here: http://nmap.org/book/man-host-discovery.html

if i use -Pn i get nothing basically. am i doing something wrong or is
this just normal network limitations?

Correct, -Pn means "send no host discovery probes" and assumes every target
is up.

last question is this. this is more output using the max debug level. i am
just curious how in the world it knows USER SET was received if , as you
can see, not a single packet was created and sent out?????

C:\Users\McKittrick\Desktop>nmap -n -vv -T4 -max-retries 3 -reason -PE
-packet-trace 192.168.0.1 -Pn -sn -d9

Nmap scan report for 192.168.0.1
Host is up, received user-set.
No data files read.
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.03 seconds

"user-set" means that the user (you) set the host as "up" by using the -Pn
option. The verb "received" is part of a format string that makes more
sense when the response type is "syn-ack" or "echo-reply".

Dan