Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ICMP packets on a local subnet?

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 12:44:06 -0600

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 12:18 PM, Mike . <dmciscobgp () hotmail com> wrote:

awesome! ty! why are options like that not mentioned in the nmap help
option output?

Nmap's --help output is meant to be a short summary. It's actually pretty
long: 115 lines, about 6KB. Given a typical terminal height of 24 lines,
that means almost 5 pages of output. And it really is not complete. That's
why we direct you to the man page at the bottom: "SEE THE MAN PAGE (
http://nmap.org/book/man.html) FOR MORE OPTIONS AND EXAMPLES"

--disable-arp-ping is specifically not in that output because we are trying
to focus on the most-common needs of users. Most users only care whether
the target is up, not whether it specifically responds to ICMP Echo
Requests. Since ARP response is a prerequisite to IP (and therefore ICMP)
communication on most current network types, there is no reason to go any
farther than that in determining whether an IP address is in use.

Dan