Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: ssh-hostkey assertion

From: Daniel Miller <bonsaiviking () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 18:06:59 -0500

On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Kent Fritz <kfritz () wolfman devio us>
wrote:

Running ssh-hostkey script against OpenBSD current leads to assertion.
This is not new with 6.47, it happens in 6.46 and 6.40 as well.  Output
attached below.  Let me know if there's any other information I can
gather.

Thanks for this bug report! I wish we had known sooner, since this affects
previous versions.

# nmap -n -sS -p22 -sV -d --script ssh-hostkey atom1

The assertion is triggered by a failure to extract the payload and padding
lengths from an SSH2 packet. I can't reproduce this, so could you provide
either the output with --packet-trace or (preferably) a pcap of the
transaction?

PORT   STATE SERVICE REASON  VERSION
22/tcp open  ssh     syn-ack OpenSSH 6.7 (protocol 2.0)

I couldn't reproduce this with OpenSSH 6.6 on OpenBSD 5.5, which is the
latest released version on  http://www.openssh.com. Did you install this
from the development tree or is something else going on?

Dan