Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Update some scripts' categories

From: Patrik Karlsson <patrik () cqure net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 19:55:45 +0200

On Jul 12, 2011, at 12:14 AM, Djalal Harouni wrote:

On Thu, Jul 07, 2011 at 01:24:02AM -0700, Fyodor wrote:
On Wed, Jul 06, 2011 at 05:33:17PM +0100, Djalal Harouni wrote:
Some scripts don't have the right categories especially backdoor
detection scripts. I've attached a diff file to correct this, if you
have any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks Djalal!  This sort of cleanup is extremely useful.  Almost all
of the ones you list in your mail look great to me.  I only have
questions/comments on three of them:
I've updated the patch according to you suggestions and committed this
as r24834.

o db2-discover.nse
 Perhaps we should split this one into two scripts since it uses a
 prerule for broadcast and a portrule:
 * broadcast-db2-discover with "broadcast" and "safe" categories.
 * db2-discover with "discovery", "safe" and "default" ?

Interestingly, NSEDoc only lists it as a hostrule script
(http://nmap.org/nsedoc/scripts/db2-discover.html), but the prerule is
there in the script clear as day.  And yes, splitting them up sounds
like a good idea.
Patrik was really quick :)

I thought "Hey, it's my mess, I'll clean it up :)"

You know what? when I see this entry in the Nmap's todo file:
"[NSE] Script writing contest (something to think about)"

I wonder if we should change this to:
"[NSE] Script writing contest: Patrik vs other NSE script writers" :)

--
tixxdz
http://opendz.org

Hahaha, that's hilarious.