Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Ncat portable for Windows (static edition)

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 14:39:46 -0700

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 09:06:32PM +0300, Shinnok wrote:

I managed to build a portable version of Ncat, by creating a full static
build, that requires no additional libraries to run but the executable
itself(ssl included).

Thanks Shinnok.  This will be good news for all of the people who have
requested this.

I see that you put instructions into ncat/INSTALL.  While that is a
logical place, and the instructions are well written, I think it would
be better to have this on SecWiki.  That makes it easier to update and
maintain, and also allows better formatting (links, bullet lists,
etc.)

Would you please make a page on SecWiki.org and move this information
there?  You could then remove the information from INSTALL and instead
add a link to SecWiki there.  As for the page name, maybe
https://secwiki.org/w/Nmap/Ncat-Portable.

Once the new page is ready, please let me know so I can update the
CHANGELOG appropriately.  If you can do this fast enough, maybe we can
get it into the CHANGELOG for the 5.59BETA1 release (due out tonight
or tomorrow, I think).

Of course having a large set of compilation instructions is only part
of the solution.  Most users don't want to deal with that.  So I think
we should distribute a portable version of Ncat from
http://nmap.org/ncat/.  Let's wait for the Nmap 5.60 release (due in
the next couple weeks, probably) and build it then.  If it proves to
be extremely possible, we can then look into going farther (things
like including the static SSL libraries in the Nmap tarball and/or
making the Ncat in normal Nmap packages static and/or even offering
static versions of the other members of the Nmap suite of tools).
I'll add a note to the Nmap TODO so we don't forget.

Cheers,
Fyodor