Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Some scripts for analyzing NetBus

From: Toni Ruottu <toni.ruottu () iki fi>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 14:17:57 +0200

netbus-auth-bypass was set into category "intrusive" because it breaks
other sessions. I was asked to research this, so I did. It turns out
that all sessions are invalidated on each new connection to the server
unless the correct password is provided through the new connection. I
used NetBus 1.7 to test this. By this definition regular version scan
is equally intrusive. In my tests -sT and -sS did not seem to break
sessions.

So how should we categorize the scripts then? I think netbus-version
should not be in intrusive, because any other version probes already
break sessions, so it does not add to the intrusiveness. netbus-brute
should clearly be in intrusive as it might send lots of data to the
server and fill some log file with login requests.

How about netbus-auth-bypass and netbus-info? Should we put them all
into the intrusive category for the benefit of those who try to do
stealthy scans with default scripts enabled, but version scanning
disabled? Or should we rather have them in the default category
because they may help admins notice a backdoor instance, set a
password for the service, or upgrade it to a secure version.

Taking all this into account I would move netbus-auth-bypass into the
default category. Detecting vulnerabilities seems more important than
accidentally breaking a session. Specially since NetBus is probably
not expected to be really robust, and it might not be too common to
have long sessions open.