Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] Prerule considerations and concerns

From: Djalal Harouni <tixxdz () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 14:54:31 +0100

On 2010-10-19 07:40:38 +0200, Patrik Karlsson wrote:
On 18 okt 2010, at 22.39, David Fifield wrote:
upnp-info
ms-sql-info
dns-service-discovery

These all have prerules which send a broadcast or multicast network
query.  That is probably not something we want Nmap to do by default
every time it runs with scripting.  But these three also have
hostrules and/or postrules which act against the specified targets and
which we probably do want to run by default.  I see a couple options
for resolving this:

1) We could split off the broadcast functionality of these scripts
  into new scripts (upnp-broadcast or something) and maybe add them to a
  new category ("broadcast"?  "broadcastdiscovery"?).  The way users
  who want all the broadcast discovery scripts (or individual ones)
  could easily get them, but it avoids them running by default when you
  only care about your list of targets.

2) Or we could add a general NSE Arg for enabling the broadcast
  discovery.  This would be like the recently added "newtargets"
  argument.

We could use the "targets-" prefix like targets-traceroute.nse. This
doesn't exactly match what I had in mind for "targets-", because these
scripts can print out useful information regardless of whether
newtargets is set.

I think it would be great if all scripts that do broadcast discovery are easily selectable.
So either a unique prefix eg. "broadcast-" or a script category would be better in my opinion.
I think we should go for (1) and add a new category "broadcast", and
split scripts.

--
tixxdz