Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap SoC Ideas?

From: liu xiaohui <xhliu.zju () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:55:31 +0800

Thank you, David.
These links is useful to me:-)

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 1:55 AM, David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>wrote:

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 08:13:32PM +0800, liu xiaohui wrote:
But I am a newbie to the nmap, so I want to chose this project because
I can go through the code of nmap. So would you guys tell me where
should I begin if I wanna choose this project as my GSoC Application?

Hello, thanks for your interest. The question "where should I begin in
the Nmap source code" is becoming a FAQ. Henri Salo posted some good
mailing list links a few months ago at
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q3/977. They are:

"Design of Nmap"
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2007/q2/173

"how to start reading the nmap source code ?"
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2008/q1/42

"getting strated with nmap development"
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q1/566

My advice is to start with the function nmap_main in nmap.cc, and trace
the execution until you find something you want to learn more about.
Then when you have specific questions you can ask this list.

David Fifield