Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Installing Nmap on Cell phones.

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 14:13:41 -0600

1 - If an NMAP application were available for your smart
phone, would you install it, and more importantly would you actually
use it? Would you instead be more likely to use a laptop version when
mobile? Is there maybe a specific subset of NMAP features that would
be useful on a phone?
Yes, it'd be awesome to have Nmap on my phone. :)

2 - Android applications run in a modified java
virtual machine. In addition, many NMAP features require root access
which isn't available to users of Android phones, with the exception
of those phones that are unofficially 'rooted' or the Nexus 1 Dev
phone. Based on those two limitations, I assume a substantial amount
of code would have to be re-written to make NMAP useful on a phone,
but I'm uncertain about the difficulty since I've never taken on a
project like this before. Would this be a relatively easy project, or
near impossible? Would making Nmap a user-space application on a
phone be too much of a security concern?
Nmap doesn't require root for everything, it just requires it for certain things (os detection, syn scan, etc). You can
do a lot of things (connect scan, software version detection, most scripts, etc) without root.

My apologies if my questions are a bit on the naive-side, and I
welcome any comments or pointers to any additional resources. Thanks!
Asking questions is what the list is for. :)

luke

--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org