Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nping build breakage on opensolaris

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 20:53:57 -0700

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:08:17PM +0100, Luis M. wrote:
On 03/24/2010 07:44 AM, Fyodor wrote:

I'd be glad to fix the problem but I don't have access to any Solaris
box, sorry. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Nmap is such a portable application that we experience that problem a
lot.  Fortunately there are solutions.  We used to use the approach of
buying old equipment on Craigslist/Ebay and sometimes reselling it for
the same or more money when we're done.  That's how I got my current
SPARCstation.  But things have gotten easier, especially for operating
systems such as Solaris and OpenSolaris which can run on X86.  You can
run it from a VM, or a liveCD, or install it on a separate partition
or hard drive on one of your machines.

Hehe, another approach I've used successfully is begging on nmap-dev
for a shell account on the affected platform.  That works well both
because the list is full of generous people and also because they know
that will get Nmap fixed on their platform more quickly.

I don't want to sound like I'm complaining that you haven't done these
things, just noting some solutions we've found useful in the past.

Cheers,
-F