Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Call for testers: Nping 0.1BETA1 Released.

From: Ron <ron () skullsecurity net>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 11:05:09 -0500

On 08/07/2009 10:55 AM, Luis M. wrote:
Hi Jason,

Nping behaves in a slightly different way than Nmap. If you look at the
man page you'll see that there are 7 levels of verbosity. However, the
initial level is level 4 so if you specify -vN where N<4 you are
actually telling Nping to display less information. Here is a quick ref
guide:

Level 0: No output
Level 1: Fatal error messages
Level 2: Warnings and recoverable errors
Level 3: Normal but does not display sent/recv packets, just stats, etc.
Level 4: Display sent/recv packets and stats.
Level 5: Display detailed packet info.
Level 6: Display very detailed packet info.

So to sum up: every instance of -v increments verbosity level by one
(starting from level 4). -vN sets verbosity level N.

Luis.

It may just be me, but I think this is confusing. I'd suggest starting off with a verbosity of 0, then using -q to make it go down and to -v to make it go up. So you can use -q3 to make it super quiet, and -v3 to make it super verbose.

Ron

--
Ron Bowes
http://www.skullsecurity.org/