Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Call for testers: Nping 0.1BETA1 Released.

From: "Luis M." <luis.mgarc () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 11:11:40 +0100

Hi Toni,

Yes, when Nping is run by a user without root privileges, the default
is to attempt TCP connections using the traditional connect() system
call.  Other ping utilities choose ICMP Echo by default because they are
installed setuid root, so regular users can still access the raw socket
interface and send ICMP packets.

I choose port 80 because  although not all machines have it open, a lot
of them do. However, that's only the default behavior, you can choose
any port you want supplying "-p N" where N is a port number or even a
port range (e.g: "-p 443"  pings port 443 and "-p 1-1024" pings the
first 1024 ports).

Btw, thanks for taking the time to test Nping. If you'd like to discuss
anything else or you have more comments, please let me know.

Regards,

Luis.

Toni Ruottu wrote:
I'm mostly interested in default behavior, so I ran nping by giving it
nothing, except a host name. It seems to attempt doing 10 tcp
connections to port 80 on the target host. Now, I assume tcp
connections were chosen because they do not require root privileges.
The problem following from this design choice, that not every computer
has port 80 open. Is there anything we could do to work around the
issue?