Nmap Development mailing list archives

Status Report #1 of 17

From: "Luis M." <luis.mgarc () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 10:33:30 +0200

Hi!

First of all, let me introduce myself. My name is Luis MartinGarcia, and
I am one of the 6 Nmap GSoC '09 students. I study Computing Engineering
in University Carlos III, Madrid, Spain, and I am also pursuing my
masters degree in Information Security in Open University of Catalonia.

My project for Nmap is the development of Nping, a hping-like tool for
for constructing and sending custom packets. I am open to any suggestion
about the project, so don't hesitate to contact me if you have interesting
ideas.

Accomplishments:

*  I've checked out most or all nmap repository (main branch, nmap-exp, status, etc).
*  I've created a new directory in nmap-exp for this GSoC Project (folder "luis")
*  I've created a TODO list in directory status (file "TODO.luis")
*  I've successfully compiled current svn version of nmap. That was easy since there
   is no difference with the standard process for tar.gz releases.
*  I've downloaded hping2 and started having a look at its man page.
*  I've subscribed to the nmap-svn list (I was already subscribed to the other lists)

Priorities:

* Read as much hping2 documentation as possible
* Discussion with Fyodor and the nmap-dev people about the requirements for Nping.
* Tell Fyodor I don't have access to an OS X box to be used for testing.