Nmap Development mailing list archives

Preferred Linux distribution for building 32-bit RPMs?

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 01:21:51 -0700

I currently build the official Nmap 32-bit RPMs on an old laptop
running Fedora 8.  I plan to (very soon) install 32-bit Linux in a
virtual machine instead.  I'll then run that VM under 64-bit Linux
using VMWare Workstation when I do new release builds.  That should be
a lot faster than my old T23, and will let me do crazy things with
that laptop without jeopardizing the official Nmap builds :).

So my question is: what distribution and distro version should I
install in the VM?  My main concern is portability--I'd like the
binary RPMs to work on as many rpm-based distributions as possible.
Performance and features (e.g. from using newer libraries) is
important, but secondary.  I'll probably link to the libraries
included with Nmap rather than any which may already exist on the
system, and I'll probably link everything I can staticly.  I hope to
include a staticly linked OpenSSL too (that isn't included in our
current RPMs).  Has anyone here had problems with the 32-bit RPMs
currently distributed on the site (e.g. from Fedora Core 8)?

My current plan is to use Fedora Core 10.  But other options, such as
CentOS, exist.  If anyone has reasons for using (or not using) any
specific distribution, let me know!

Cheers,
-F