Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Preferred Linux distribution for building 32-bit RPMs?

From: Gaveen Prabhasara <gaveen.skyeye () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 21:55:54 +0530

I'm not actually going to pick one but rather point a couple of things.

The upcoming Fedora 11 will have a few significant changes to the
RPM relates things. First from 11 onwards they plan to support delta
RPMs, which is a good thing. It shall enable the possibility to ship
new RPMs with only updated files from the previous RPM package.
I don't see it as a problem, but as a possible advantage. However
they are going to change the RPM version to 4.7 which I think is a
little concern.

Secondly the hashing used in RPM is going to change into SHA-256
which could create problems since we have other RPM based
environments using non-SHA-256.

So changing into Fedora 11 might not be a good choice right now.
That being said current RPMs work well in both Fedora and CentOS/
RHEL systems. But as Corey said using the latest main version of
CentOS/RHEL seems a safe choice as they already have a level of
Fedora compatibility. RHEL 6 should be based on Fedora 10/11 I
think. However there's a catch of doing this, as doing so would
probably break the RPM for Fedora 11 (due on May).

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RPM4.7
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/StrongerHashes

Cheers,
Gaveen Prabhasara