Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 4.85BETA4 released!

From: Vijay Sankar <vsankar () foretell ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 14:27:47 -0500

David Fifield wrote:
On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 07:20:45PM -0500, Vijay Sankar wrote:
Fyodor wrote:
Hi All.  I'm happy to releae 4.85BETA4.  It has been nearly a month
and a half since BETA3, so this version offers many great changes!
New NSE scripts, tons of Ncat improvements, an enhanced OS detection
DB, and dozens of other bug fixes, features, and performance
enhancements!

I've posted the goods on the Nmap download page at
http://nmap.org/download.html.  This includes the tarball as well as
Linux, Windows, and Mac binaries, and signatures.

Please test it out and report any problems to nmap-dev as soon as you
can, since I'm leaving for CanSecWest on Tuesday morning (I'll be
speaking there Friday).  So Monday may be my last chance to do a
rebuild if you discover any serious problems.
nmap-4.85BETA4 installed successfully on OpenBSD 4.4 -stable.

Also, when I try to run zenmap, I get:

vijay CPU@39.0C $ zenmap
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/local/bin/zenmap", line 30, in <module>
   from zenmapCore.UmitLogging import log
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/zenmapCore/UmitLogging.py", line 25, in <module>
   from zenmapCore.UmitOptionParser import option_parser
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/zenmapCore/UmitOptionParser.py", line 26, in <module>
   import zenmapCore.I18N
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/zenmapCore/I18N.py", line 26, in <module>
   from zenmapCore.Paths import Path
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/zenmapCore/Paths.py", line 30, in <module>
   from zenmapCore.UmitLogging import log
ImportError: cannot import name log
vijay CPU@38.0C $

I have both python-2.4.4p7 and python-2.5.2p4 installed (these are OpenBSD packages) and have linked python to python-2.5

Something must have gone wrong with the installation.
zenmapCore/Paths.py doesn't import zenmapCore.UmitLogging at the top
anymore, precisely because of this circular dependency. For some reason,
maybe a clock skew, the new Paths.py wasn't installed with the other
files.

Try entering the zenmap directory and running "sudo python setup.py
install --force". That will force installation of all files. I have been
suspicious of distutils's file replacement strategy for a while so I
added the --force option to the main Makefile.in. The downside of that
is a lot more output with "make install".

David Fifield

Thank you very much,

I am using OpenBSD 4.4 -stable and did a sudo python setup.py install --force.

There were no errors during the install but now zenmap gives me the following error.

vijay CPU@34.0C $ zenmap
 File "/usr/local/bin/zenmap", line 103, in <module>
   import zenmapGUI.App
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/zenmapGUI/App.py", line 50, in <module>
   from zenmapGUI.higwidgets.higdialogs import HIGAlertDialog
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/zenmapGUI/higwidgets/__init__.py", line 33, in <module>
   from gtkutils import *
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/zenmapGUI/higwidgets/gtkutils.py", line 33, in <module>
   import gobject
Error in sys.excepthook:
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/local/bin/zenmap", line 51, in excepthook
   gtk.gdk.threads_enter()
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'gdk'

Original exception was:
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/local/bin/zenmap", line 103, in <module>
   import zenmapGUI.App
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/zenmapGUI/App.py", line 50, in <module>
   from zenmapGUI.higwidgets.higdialogs import HIGAlertDialog
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/zenmapGUI/higwidgets/__init__.py", line 33, in <module>
   from gtkutils import *
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/zenmapGUI/higwidgets/gtkutils.py", line 33, in <module>
   import gobject
ImportError: No module named gobject

This is my desktop workstation (OpenBSD 4.4 -stable) and may be I have made some mistakes with configuring other python apps. I went through reinstalling the pre-requisites but am not able to build a python-sqlite2 package successfully anymore, so this is probably my fault.

To verify, I will set up a new OpenBSD 4.4 -stable environment, repeat these steps there and report back to you.

Thanks very much,

Vijay

--
Vijay Sankar, M.Eng., P.Eng.