Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 4.85BETA4 released!

From: David Fifield <david () bamsoftware com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:38:41 -0600

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 07:20:45PM -0500, Vijay Sankar wrote:
Fyodor wrote:
Hi All.  I'm happy to releae 4.85BETA4.  It has been nearly a month
and a half since BETA3, so this version offers many great changes!
New NSE scripts, tons of Ncat improvements, an enhanced OS detection
DB, and dozens of other bug fixes, features, and performance
enhancements!

I've posted the goods on the Nmap download page at
http://nmap.org/download.html.  This includes the tarball as well as
Linux, Windows, and Mac binaries, and signatures.

Please test it out and report any problems to nmap-dev as soon as you
can, since I'm leaving for CanSecWest on Tuesday morning (I'll be
speaking there Friday).  So Monday may be my last chance to do a
rebuild if you discover any serious problems.

nmap-4.85BETA4 installed successfully on OpenBSD 4.4 -stable.

I seem to have a weird situation:

From an unprivileged user account, when I do a scan, I get the following:

vijay CPU@38.0C $ nmap -vv -A 10.0.0.3

Starting Nmap 4.85BETA4 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-03-15 19:14 CDT
Initiating Ping Scan at 19:14
Scanning 10.0.0.3 [1 port]
Completed Ping Scan at 19:14, 0.00s elapsed (1 total hosts)
Initiating Connect Scan at 19:14
Scanning sm.sankars.local (10.0.0.3) [1000 ports]
Discovered open port 8080/tcp on 10.0.0.3
Discovered open port 22/tcp on 10.0.0.3
Discovered open port 80/tcp on 10.0.0.3
Discovered open port 443/tcp on 10.0.0.3
Discovered open port 20000/tcp on 10.0.0.3
.
.
.

From root account on the same workstation:

vijay# nmap -vv -A 10.0.0.3

Starting Nmap 4.85BETA4 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-03-15 19:16 CDT
Initiating ARP Ping Scan at 19:16
Scanning 10.0.0.3 [1 port]
Completed ARP Ping Scan at 19:16, 0.24s elapsed (1 total hosts)
Read data files from: /usr/local/share/nmap
Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes,
try -PN
Nmap done: 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 0.59 seconds
          Raw packets sent: 2 (84B) | Rcvd: 0 (0B)

I used a plain ./configure; gmake; gmake install

What is the operating system on 10.0.0.3? Perhaps this is related to the
Solaris ARP reply issue noted in
http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2009/q1/0176.html.

David Fifield