Nmap Development mailing list archives

Nmap 4.85BETA3

From: Fyodor <fyodor () insecure org>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 19:41:37 -0800

Hi All.  I'm happy to releae 4.85BETA3.  Among other changes, this
fixes the Windows DLL problem in a much better way.  David found that
the issue doesn't occur if you (person building the Windows installer)
installs GTK+ using the all-in-one zipfile bundle at
http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html rather than the executable
installer from gladewin32.sourceforge.net.  That changed fixed it on
my system (and David's), so hopefully it works for everyone else too.
That version of the GTK libraries doesn't even HAVE a librsvg-2-2.dll
to cause us trouble :).

I've posted the goods on the Nmap download page at
http://nmap.org/download.html .  We don't have a Mac installer yet,
but I'm sure David will make one soon.

Please test it out and report any problems to nmap-dev!  I'm quite
pleased that we've seen relatively few problems with these 4.85BETAs
so far, given the dramatic changes.  But we still need a lot more
testing before I'll be comfortable making a stable release.

Here are the changes in BETA3:

o Revert the temporary GTK DLL workaround (r11899) which added
  duplicate DLL files to the distribution.  David found that using a
  different GTK download fixed the problem (see
  docs/win32-installer-zenmap-buildguide.txt) and Fyodor was able to
  reproduce and implement.

o The conditions for printing OS fingerprints to XML output are now
  the same as are used to decide whether to print them in the other
  formats. So they will be printed if submission is desirable,
  otherwise they are only printed if debuging is enabled or verbosity
  is 2 or higher. [Tom Sellers]

o Removed some Brazilian poetry/lyrics from Zenmap source code
  (NmapOutputViewer.py). We've seen enough of it in the debug logs. "E
  nao se entrega, nao".

o Fix Ncat compilation with the MingW windows compiler. [Gisle Vanem]

o Corrected some NSE libraries (datafiles, tab) which were using the
  old arg table interface. [Patrick]

o [Zenmap] Fixed a crash that happened when running a scan directly
  from the command wizard without saving a profile [David]:
    NmapParser.py", line 417, in set_target
      self.ops.target_specs = target.split()
    AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'split'

o Fied an NSE pop3 library error which gave a message such as:
  SCRIPT ENGINE (506.424s): ./scripts/pop3-capabilities.nse against
  a.b.1.47:995 ended with error: ./scripts/pop3-capabilities.nse:32:
  bad argument #1 to 'pairs' (table expected, got string) [Jah]

o Upgraded the OpenSSL binaries shipped in our Windows installer to
  version 0.9.8j. [Kris]

o Updated IANA assignment IP list for random IP (-iR)
  generation. [Kris]

Cheers,
-F