Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Summer of Code Script Ideas

From: "Eddie Bell" <ejlbell () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 23:29:37 +0000

On 24/03/2008, Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman <buanzo () buanzo com ar> wrote:
Eddie Bell wrote:
 | It would be impossible to autonomously generate scripts but with
 | wireshark and rfc's the development process would be substantially
 | quickened.

Not really. We could do it the same way ltrace / strace / truss / etc work in Linux / Solaris.

 Not a real complete script might be output-ed but... something usable enough, but some pretty
 correlation info.

Maybe, but not everything a program does is a system or library call
e.g. it may be hard to pick out a hex encoded IP address from the
content of a write() call when the only code executing is pure cpu
computation. Dynamic protocol fields such as nonce/sequence numbers
and timestamps may cause difficulties, as well as multi-packet
exchanges that rely on dynamic data from previous packets.

It would be very hard if not impossible to generalize the process.
Although I may be wrong and someone will figure it out ;)

 - eddie