Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [NSE] NSE HTTP library

From: Kris Katterjohn <katterjohn () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:33:40 -0600

Thomas Buchanan wrote:
I adjusted the header handling so that multiline headers are now
properly handled. Earlier versions ignored those lines.

You can now also set arbitrary headers for the http.get() function
e.g.: http.get(host, port, '/', {header={Authorization="Basic
YWRtaW46C"}})

This way you can also overwrite the User-Agent or the Host used in the
GET request.

Cheers,
Sven

Sounds good to me.  I'll try and get some testing on your changes in the
next day or so, but one thing I noticed in your patch  is that the
get_url() function in http.lua doesn't pass the options variable along
to get().

I've got some other ideas on how to improve the HTTP Auth script that I
hope to get implemented in the near future, but this looks like a step
in the right direction.

Thomas

Yeah, I see the same thing you mention with get_url() and options.

Also: in request(), it is checked see if nmap.have_ssl() is true and if
the service is https or SSL-tunneled.  But what if the user requests the
use of SSL, but nmap.have_ssl() is false?

It will either fail anyway (non-SSL traffic to SSL port), or possibly
worse: succeed and not go over SSL.  My first thought is to return that
nil/empty 'result' table that's further down the function, but I don't
know what's best.  Although for /most/ scripts I guess it's not a
security threat to go unencrypted either way (and a lot of servers just
reject non-SSL traffic to 443), I don't like the thought of thinking I'm
sending encrypted data when I'm not :)

Thanks,
Kris Katterjohn