Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap 4.22SOC6 Released

From: João Paulo de Souza Medeiros <ignotus21 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:32:05 -0300

Hi friends,

    First, congratulations for the great work. I see one problem when
Umit search for insteled versions with svn command:

svn: '.' is not a working copy
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "install_scripts/utils/version_update.py", line 43, in ?
    REVISION = umit_revision()
  File "install_scripts/utils/version_update.py", line 40, in umit_revision
    return re.findall("revision=\"(\d+)\"", stdout.read())[0]
IndexError: list index out of range

In the Umit trunk this is fixed, for Windows and Linux.

Att, ignotus.

Fyodor wrote:
Hello everyone!  I'm pleased to release Nmap 4.22SOC6.  It has David's
Massping migration stuff as well as a bunch of fixes and small
features.  Nmap is now in FEATURE FREEZE!  Please test it out so that
we can stabilize this sucker and get a great stable release out the
door!  I imagine that "mainstream" users will love all the new
features we've packed in during the year.  The last stable release was
in December of last year, if you can believe it!  So its time to show
off the huge NSE advances, UMIT, 2nd generation OS detection
improvements, all the SoC work, and more!  But we can't do that until
Nmap has the level of polish and reliability that users (should)
expect from open source software!

Please give this a try, with a particular emphasis on testing Umit on
Windows and UNIX systems, and also David's new ping scan work
(massping migration).  And then please remember to report your results
to nmap-dev.  Even if everything worked perfectly, we'd love to hear
your thoughts!

Here are the goods in the usual formats:

http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.22SOC6.tar.bz2
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.22SOC6-setup.exe
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.22SOC6-win32.zip
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.22SOC6-1.src.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.22SOC6-1.i386.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-frontend-4.22SOC6-1.i386.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.22SOC6-1.x86_64.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-frontend-4.22SOC6-1.x86_64.rpm
http://download.insecure.org/nmap/dist/nmap-4.22SOC6.tgz

And here are the changes since 4.22SOC5:

o Included David's major massping migration project.  The same
  underlying engine is now uses for ping scanning as for port
  scanning.  We hope this will lead to better performance and
  accuracy, as well as helping to de-bloat Nmap.  Please test it out
  and report your results to nmap-dev!  For more details, see
  http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2007/q3/0277.html

o Fixed UMIT bug which occurred when installing to a non-standard
  directory (e.g. a home directory).  This caused Python to not be able
  to find the necessary files. [Kris]

o Added an NSE script (HTTPpasswd.nse) for finding directory traversal
  problems and /etc/password files on web servers. [Kris]

o Removed win_dependencies cruft from UMIT directory. [Kris]

o Upgraded libpcap from version 0.9.4 to 0.9.7 [Kris]

o Removed the effectively empty XML elements for traceroute hops which
  timed out. [Eddie]

o Fixed (I hope) a problem with running Nmap on Mac OS X machines with
  VMWare Fusion running.  The error message started with:
  "getinterfaces: Failed to open ethernet interface (vmnet8). A
  possible cause on BSD operating systems is running out of BPF
  devices ...."  For more details, see
  http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2007/q3/0254.html.

o Check that --script arguments are reasonable when Nmap starts rather
  than potentially waiting for a bunch of port scanning to finish
  first. [Stoiko]

o Fixed (we hope) a UMIT problem which resulted in the error message:
  "NameError: global name 'S_IRUSR' is not defined". [Adriano]

o Removed an error message which used to appear when you quit UMIT on
  Windows.  The message used to say "Errors occurred - See the logfile
  [filename] for details." [Adriano]

o Fix permissions on files installed by Umit so that it should work
  even if you do 'make install' from an account with a 077 umask.

o Add a feature to Umit that lets you search your unsaved
  scans. [Eddie]

o Added back a previously removed feature which allows you to specify
  'rnd' as one of your decoys (-D option) to let Nmap choose a random
  IP.  You also use a format such as rnd:5 to generate five random
  decoys. [Kris]

o Reference guide (man page) updates to the NSE section, and some
  general cleanup.

o When Nmap finishes, it now says "Nmap done" rather than "Nmap run
  completed".  No need to waste pixels on excess verbiage.

Cheers,
-F