Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: [Patch] Re: NMAP XML reports unreadable in linux

From: "Eddie Bell" <ejlbell () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 11:00:47 +0200

On 07/07/06, Brandon Enright <bmenrigh () ucsd edu> wrote:
Here's one compromise that comes to mind:  We add a new option, say,
--dtd.  By default the DOCTYPE is not printed in the XML results.  If
--dtd is specified, Nmap prints the DOCTYPE with
http://www.insecure.org/nmap/data/nmap.dtd.  The --dtd could also take
an optional argument to specify the path.  I'm not sure how much trouble
adding --dtd with an optional path would be but it seems like the best
option.

This is the best option, IMHO, as it will hopefully avoid confusing
people who are not familar with DTDs. As well as an optional dtd file
path, an optional dtd URL could be passed with the same argument. I
think It would be better to default to the DTD on disk because not
everyone updates to the very latest version of nmap or we could go
with adams idea but it would require extra work from fyodor.

- ejlb