Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Umit 0.8.2-testing release

From: "Adriano Monteiro" <py.adriano () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:36:53 -0300

Do you mean making Umit itself into a standalone EXE which is staticly
linked to everything we need?  Have you tried doing this?  What does
it involve?  It sounds promising to me, though I haven't really messed
with these particular dependency libraries much.

It's prossible to compile an entire python program into a standalone
exe using py2exe (http://www.py2exe.org/). This module can compile
every dependency within this exe. It is harder to implement when
compared to the installers, but user won't need to install anything.
All the user will have to do is download, double-click and have fun.

But, this approach involves increase the Umit's file size to something
about 18mb, and limits the user if he wants to download a lighter
version of Umit when he has the dependencies installed.

Despite the issues, I think it's a good approach. I'll be working on it soon.

Cheeers!

--
Adriano Monteiro Marques
http://umit.sourceforge.net

"Don't stay in bed, unless you can make money in bed." - George Burns