Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Win32 version of Nmap can't connect to host on Windows XP pro.

From: cullen () firehead org (Cullen Newsom)
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2004 14:58:15 -0600

When I tried using it on my Windows XP pro laptop it cannot connect to the
host.
Here is what I see:
./nmap.exe -v www.google.com
Starting nmap 3.50 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap ) at 2004-02-01 04:46
Pacific Standard Time
Host 216.239.53.99 appears to be down, skipping it.
Note: Host seems down. If it is really up, but blocking our ping probes,
try -P0
Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (0 hosts up) scanned in 12.088 seconds
Thanks,
John

John,

    If you haven't got and answer yet, you're still out of luck, but
I'll give you some data that might help.  I just installed nmap 3.50 on
a Compaq? HP? nx9010.  It has XP, and the networking environment is DSL
with a Linksys AP.  I have the XP personal firewall off.  I installed
the WinPcap_3.0.1_a.exe.  Then I clicked on nmapwin and installed it,
and cursed.  Then I unzipped nmap-3.50 and installed it.  I tried it.
It didn't work.  But, I did not get the same type of error as you.
Rebooted, tried it, works! slow! Applied the registry
thing, by clicking on it.  Tried again, works! a little faster!  Here is
the output:

nmap -v www.google.com
Starting nmap 3.50 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap ) at 2004-02-01 14:42
Central
Standard Time
Host 216.239.41.104 appears to be up ... good.
Initiating SYN Stealth Scan against 216.239.41.104 at 14:42
Adding open port 80/tcp
Adding open port 443/tcp
The SYN Stealth Scan took 76 seconds to scan 1659 ports.
Interesting ports on 216.239.41.104:
(The 1656 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: filtered)
PORT    STATE  SERVICE
80/tcp  open   http
179/tcp closed bgp
443/tcp open   https

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 81.387 seconds

I also scanned .53.99 four times and once it reported to be down

nmap -v 216.239.53.99

Starting nmap 3.50 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap ) at 2004-02-01 14:50
Central
Standard Time
Host 216.239.53.99 appears to be up ... good.
Initiating SYN Stealth Scan against 216.239.53.99 at 14:50
Adding open port 443/tcp
Adding open port 80/tcp
The SYN Stealth Scan took 100 seconds to scan 1659 ports.
Interesting ports on 216.239.53.99:
(The 1656 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: filtered)
PORT    STATE  SERVICE
80/tcp  open   http
179/tcp closed bgp
443/tcp open   https

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 104.660
seconds

I hope this helps.  Mine was a fresh install btw.  Or rather, there were
no previous installlations of nmap or winpcap on this machine.

Cullen