Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: Nmap-based mapping/monitoring tool

From: MadHat <madhat () unspecific com>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 11:46:30 -0600

On Mar 9, 2004, at 10:57 AM, Bob McLaren wrote:
Sounds like a fun project to me!

The only thing I would be concerned about is trying to monitor an enterprise-sized network using this approach. If you were going to monitor a small and specific range of addresses, you would probably be fine. However, if you intend to scan an entire Class A or even Class B network several times a day, you will end up generating a whole heck of a lot of traffic. Or worse yet, you could run into my problem (see my earlier post), in that my box seems to run out of buffer space whenever I try to scan too many hosts in a network at once.

The problems I ran into were that of not completing in a timely manner.
Bob, have you tried splitting up the /16 into multiple sections to scan and see if that worked?

There are several things around people have used to split up and parallelize scans. This may speed up scanning and get you past the issue you are seeing.

I had glanced at that thread, but did not follow it, sorry.