Nmap Development mailing list archives

winpcap3/PPP probs

From: Andy Lutomirski <luto () stanford edu>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 13:10:51 -0700

I've noticed a lot of posts here about problems with winpcap 3 and scanning over PPP. I'm quite surprised -- to my knowledge, regardless of any version of winpcap's support for PPP, nMap has never been able to use it -- I hardcoded pcapsend.c to expect an Ethernet connection, and I don't think that anyone added the necessary support to newer versions of nmap. What should work is nmap's raw _socket_ support, which is, in principle, transport-independent. I have no idea why winpcap 3 would mess this up, but I'll try to take a look in a few days. In the mean time, try running nmap with --win_nopcap (or whatever the correct spelling is), as some user with Admin rights. Note that XP's firewall must be _off_ for this to work. Actually, since MS has added some sensible ARP filtering to the firewall, even full winpcap mode won't work quite right though the firewall, since the ARP hack nmap uses is no longer correct.

Andy