Nmap Development mailing list archives

Re: winpcap3/PPP probs

From: "Mr Potato Head" <potatohead () softhome net>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 13:23:46 +1000

On 1 Sep 2003 at 13:10, Andy Lutomirski wrote:
I've noticed a lot of posts here about problems with winpcap 3 and
scanning over PPP.  I'm quite surprised -- to my knowledge, regardless
of any version of winpcap's support for PPP, nMap has never been able to
use it --

I use Winpcap 3.2 with Nmapwin v1.3.0 and it works OK on a PPP
connection. It also works on Ethernet but I have never tried it over
the wireless connection.

While I have your attention, I found using Nmapwin to be less than
intuitive, for me anyway. I only use Nmap to scan my own network to
see what ports are open. I realise that the the software is far more
powerful than this and would like to learn more about how tio use it
more effectively to secure my own network. The examples in the Help
file are all command line based and it makes a quick scan difficult
for me. If anyone can point me to a Nmapwin resource that will
educate me (with pretty screenshots) it would be appreciated.

Cheers