nanog mailing list archives

Re: One Can't Have It Both Ways Re: Streamline the CG-NAT Re: EzIP Re: IPv4 address block

From: "Abraham Y. Chen" <aychen () avinta com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 23:16:57 -0500

Hi, Forrest:

1) "  if you have IPv6 service and I have IPv6 service, our IPv6 devices can talk directly to each other without needing any VPN or similar. ":

Thanks. So, is it true that the reason IPv4 could not do so is solely because it does not have enough static addresses for every subscriber?

2)    " ...  taking other security/safety steps.  (Like the PSTN, the internet can be tapped).  ":

Agreed. However, the extra steps should be for those who have some secret to hide. In the PSTN days, most traffic was voice and no encryption. For the Internet, everything is digitized. Distinguishing among voice and data becomes extra work. So, I see the tendency to encrypt everything.

Regards,

Abe (2024-01-18 23:15)