nanog mailing list archives

Re: xfinity not working

From: "Delong.com via NANOG" <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2023 12:32:21 -0700

On Oct 11, 2023, at 11:34, William Herrin <bill () herrin us> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 11, 2023 at 11:12 AM Delong.com <owen () delong com> wrote:
There are still some knobs…

e.g. bridge mode or not (usually)

I'm guessing that's only if there's a built-in wifi router. My grand
experience with cable modems counts to exactly two brands and four
models, but in each case the model without wifi was solely a bridge.
The knobs, as such, were: change the password and reboot the modem.

Nope… My Surfboard 8611 has that (just Cable<->single ethernet port).

In non-bridge mode, it acts as a NAT router between the ethernet port and the single address dropped on the modem by
the $CABLECO DHCP server.

In bridge mode, it passes my packets to the $CABLECO DHCP server.

Since I have business service, I’m able to use that to actually get DHCP addresses on multiple devices.

In my case, that’s a pair of MX-240s and an SRX-340.

The SRX-340 provides a backup simple network (SRX LAN ->NAT->$CABLECO) in case things go wrong with the (usually more
reliable multi-homed) network. (This was quick and easy to set up and helped keep the family off my back while
troubleshooting the transition to the bigger upgrades).

The MX-240s each also have a connection to Ridge Wireless and there are GRE tunnels from each via Ridge and Comcast to
each of:
        +       MX-240 at HE FMT2
        +       VM/FRR based router at 55 South Market (San Jose)
        +       Act USA in Las Vegas

BGP and traffic flow over the tunnels (BGP is loopback to loopback for FMT2 and 55 S Market, direct EBGP peering to Act
USA).

Owen