nanog mailing list archives

Re: Do ISP's collect and analyze traffic of users?

From: "Livingood, Jason via NANOG" <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 14:35:01 +0000

+1 to what Josh writes below. I would also differentiate between mobile networks (service provisioned to individual
devices & often carrier s/w on the device) and wireline networks (home devices behind a router/gateway/NAT).

I just don't think sale of data is a business for wireline ISPs. If it were - given most companies are public - you'd
see it in SEC 10K filings and on earnings calls. Indeed, they'd be required to talk about it with investors if it was a
material revenue stream. I see none of that. Rather, the focus is on subscription revenue. If you want to know about
data monetization - focus on services you don't pay for...

Jason