nanog mailing list archives

Re: Do ISP's collect and analyze traffic of users?

From: Jeroen Massar via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2023 10:10:24 +0200

On 16 May 2023, at 06:46, Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com> wrote:
[..]
I admit, I'm perhaps a little behind on the latest netflow whiz-bangs,
but I've never seen a netflow record type that included HTTP cookies
or PCAP data before.

Take your pick from the "latest" ~2009 IPFIX Information Elements:

https://www.iana.org/assignments/ipfix/ipfix.xhtml

One can stuff almost anything in there.

Now if one should, and if one is allowed to.....

There is a reason why the marketing companies that control the general Internet moved the browser to HTTPS and are
trying to move to using their VPNs/CDNs: cannot modify the data to alter or remove the Ad in-flight, and cannot easily
see anymore what people are even contacting: visibility for the ad network and not the ISP (which is mostly a good
thing, but not so much operationally ;) )

Greets,
 Jeroen