nanog mailing list archives

Re: New addresses for b.root-servers.net

From: David Conrad <drc () virtualized org>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2023 10:43:00 -0400

On Jun 15, 2023, at 10:51 PM, Wes Hardaker <wjhns61 () hardakers net> wrote:
At some point, somebody's going to want to do something with the old /24.
You are correct that we did not state we will or will not be returning
the address block we have back to ARIN.  We do not plan on returning it
for precisely the reasons you've specified.

Long ago, I had suggested that given the peculiar and unique nature or root server addresses and their critical
sensitivity that their addresses be treated as protocol parameters, i.e., that root service was fixed to those
addresses by protocol specification.  People asked if I had been touched by the Bad Idea Fairy (RIP).  I still think
it’s a good idea… :)

Regards,
-drc