nanog mailing list archives

Re: Smaller than a /24 for BGP?

From: Lars Prehn <lprehn () mpi-inf mpg de>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2023 06:08:37 +0100

We performed some high-level analyses on these hyper-specific prefixes about a year ago and pushed some insights into a blog post [1] and a paper [2].

While not many ASes redistribute these prefixes, some accept and use them for their internal routing (e.g., NTT's IPv4 filtering policy [3]). Rob already pointed out that this is often sufficient for many traffic engineering tasks. In the remaining scenarios, announcing a covering /24 and hyper-specific prefixes may result in some traffic engineering, even if the predictability of the routing impact is closer to path prepending than usual more-specific announcements. In contrast to John's claim, some transit ASes explicitly enabled redistributions of up to /28s for their customers upon request (at least, they told us so during interviews).

Accepting and globally redistributing all hyper-specifics increases the routing table size by >100K routes (according to what route collectors see). There are also about 2-4 de-aggregation events every year in which some origin (accidentally) leaks some large number of hyper-specifics to its neighbours for a short time.

Best regards,
Lars

[1] https://blog.apnic.net/2022/09/01/measuring-hyper-specific-prefixes-in-the-wild/
[2] https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/3544912.3544916