nanog mailing list archives

Re: BCP38 For BGP Customers

From: Grant Taylor via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2022 09:40:37 -0700

On 11/8/22 6:28 AM, Douglas Fischer wrote:
I also have this concern about Spoofing coming from Downstreams.

+1

And after a lot of struggle I can say that using uRPF in strict mode per interface doing FIB lookup is not a good idea!

Maybe it's the lack of caffeine, but would someone please remind / enlighten me as to why uRPF is a bad idea on downstream interfaces?

N.B. Maybe I'm thinking more a varient of uRPF wherein if I have a route to the source from the interface in question. Thus not uRPF-strict (active route) nor uRPF-loose (route on any interface).

I've spent a lot of time wrestling with this issue, and the measurement that matters most, which are support tickets, doesn't show good results.

Will you please share a high level of what the technical problems are?

The best option I've found so far?
It is to use the same Prefix-List that you use to release the routes accepted in the BGP session in a Filter Policy applied in the interface with the Downstream. Another important point to note is that you MUST NOT drop everything else that doesn't match this Prefix-List.

Please clarify if there are routes that would return the packets that would be dropped back to your router & downstream client.

I don't understand why you would want to allow packets that couldn't return the same path.

As for asymmetrically routed packets, I would still expect a return path to exist, even if it's not utilized.

(Yes, I know it's hard to accept that...)

#headScratching

But put a bandwidth and PPS control on what doesn't match the prefix-list, and block what exceeds.
And why do it this way?
Among other reasons, it is very common that Exceeded TTL responses come with source IPs for private use, or IP blocks that are for public use but not announced to the DFZ.

I'll argue -- possibly from a place of ignorance -- that there should not be any packets on the Internet at large (default free zone) to or from IPs not part of the Internet (DFZ).

I view the TTL Exceeded packets as errant in their non-globally-routed source address and as such should be dropped early / often.

Both "be liberal in what you accept and conservative in what you send" (Jon Postel) and "Brown M&M" (Van Halen) come to mind, as does the newer industry phrase "fail-fast".

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die