nanog mailing list archives

Re: Let's Focus on Moving Forward Re: V6 still not supported re: 202203261833.AYC

From: Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 14:08:11 -0700

On Mar 30, 2022, at 17:00 , Joe Maimon <jmaimon () jmaimon com> wrote:

Tom Beecher wrote:

   If the IETF has really been unable to achieve consensus on properly
   supporting the currently still dominant internet protocol, that is
   seriously problematic and a huge process failure.

That is not an accurate statement.

The IETF has achieved consensus on this topic. It's explained here by Brian Carpenter.

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/int-area/qWaHXBKT8BOx208SbwWILDXyAUA/

As I have explained with my newly introduced consensus standards, there is no such consensus.

To reiterate my consensus standards, consensus is only to be considered as amongst stakeholders and IPv6 specific
related stakes are not relevant to IPv4. If you consider the reverse to be true as well, I think my version of
consensus would achieve a much wider and diverse consensus than the the stated IETF's consensus.

Once a consensus has been proven invalid its beyond obnoxious to cling to it as though it maintains its own reality
field.

Yes, but you don’t have consensus for your new consensus standard, so…

Owen