nanog mailing list archives

Re: if not v6, what?

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 01:34:39 +0900

Michael Thomas wrote:

I looked up CGN's this morning and the thing that struck me the most was losing port forwarding. It's probably a small thing to most people but losing it means to get an incoming session it always has to be mediated by something on the outside.

So, to receive mails at home, we need forwarding of well known
SMTP port (25) or an external SMTP server.

So is there anything we could have done different?

As for well known port, we can specify non-default port numbers
in URLs (I'm not sure whether it works for mailto: or not) or.
in the future, things like DNS SRV RRs should be helpful.

Then, to run servers at home, we only need some not-well-known
ports forwarded, which can be default or value added service of
your local ISP, just like fixed IP addresses today.

> Even if we bolted two more bytes onto an IPv4 address
> and nothing more, would that have  been adopted either?

Nothing more?

We may even develop transport protocols with 32 bit port
numbers, which is a lot easier to deploy than IPv6.

                                                Masataka Ohta