nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 and CDN's

From: David Conrad <drc () virtualized org>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 09:10:12 -0700

Bryan,

On Oct 23, 2021, at 5:56 PM, Bryan Fields <Bryan () bryanfields net> wrote:
Excepting temporary failures, they are as far as I am aware. Why do you
think they aren’t?

I can't reach C, 2001:500:2::c, from many places in v6 land.  My home and

secondary data center can't reach it, but my backup VM's at another data
center can.

Ah. Cogent. I suspect IPv6 peering policies. Somebody should bake a cake.

However, the IANA team is not the enforcement arm of the Internet. If a
root server operator chooses to not abide by RFC 7720, there is nothing the
IANA team can do unilaterally other than make the root server operator
aware of the fact.

Surely IANA has the power to compel a root server operator to abide by policy
or they lose the right to be a root server?

To compel? No. Not in the slightest. That is not how the root server system works. This is a (very) common
misconception.

There has been some effort to create a governance model for the root server system (see
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/rssac-037-15jun18-en.pdf) but I believe it has gotten bogged down in the
question of “what do you do when a root server operator isn’t doing the job ‘right’ (whatever that means and after
figuring out who decides) but doesn’t want to give up being a root server operator?”.  It’s a hard question, but it
isn’t the folks at IANA who answer it.

Regards,
-drc