nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 and CDN's

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 14:30:13 -0800

On 11/27/21 2:22 PM, Owen DeLong via NANOG wrote:
Actually, I think it’s in the fine print here…

“Connection setup is 1.4 times faster”. I can believe that NAT adds almost 40% overhead to the connection setup (3-way
handshake) and some
of the differences in packet handling in the fast path between v4 and v6 could contribute the small remaining
difference.

I doubt it is due to different connections, since we’re talking about measurements against dual-stack sites reached
from dual-stack end-users,
very likely traversing similar paths.

40% in isolation is pretty meaningless. If it's 40% of .1% overall it's called a rounding error.

Mike