nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 and CDN's

From: Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 11:21:07 -0800

On Nov 27, 2021, at 06:05 , Mark Tinka <mark@tinka.africa> wrote:

On 11/27/21 02:15, Jean St-Laurent via NANOG wrote:

We now have apple and fb saying ipv6 is faster than ipv4.

If we can onboard Amazon, Netflix, Google and some others, then it is a done deal that ipv6 is indeed faster than
ipv4.

Hence, an easy argument to tell your CFO that you need IPv6 for your CDN.

Could work for CDN's... but what about the CFO of an ISP or MNO?

Mark.

Shouldn’t the argument that we can reduce our CGN spend by 50-80% work there?
Especially when you couple it with the argument that IPv6 deployment will likely reduce CGN related support calls which
are one of the
biggest expenses for most ISP/MNOs?

Owen