nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 and CDN's

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 20:21:03 -0500

On Sat, Nov 27, 2021, 17:36 Owen DeLong via NANOG <nanog () nanog org> wrote:

Well, 1.4x faster is a bit of an odd metric. I presume that means that
connection set up times measured were on average
1/1.4 times as long for IPv6 as they were for IPv4, but there are other
possible interpretations.

So really, that’s a convoluted way of saying it takes 29% less time to set
up an IPv6 connection than an IPv4 connection on average.

I can believe that is likely in a scenario where one is dealing with IPv4
NAT overhead.

Why isn't this just inconsistent paths between V6 and V4/nat? (Divergent
topologies)