nanog mailing list archives

Re: 5G roadblock: labor

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2020 13:10:02 -0800

On 1/5/20 1:05 PM, Shane Ronan wrote:
This may be the case for single family homes, but bringing ftth into MDUs can be very ezpensive, as building want to charge entry fees, etc.

Same goes for commercial buildings.

5G fixed wireless allows wireless to be used for the last mile, with the user still taking advantage of WiFi indoors. And it's the same infrastructure that supports the mobile use cases.

Aren't commercial and MDU just terminating the fiber at the building and sending ethernet where it's needed? I mean, I've never heard of anybody using 4G as the last mile solution, so they obviously have a solution to those problems today.

Mike