nanog mailing list archives

Re: 5G roadblock: labor

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2020 00:14:39 +0200

On 6/Jan/20 23:32, Michael Thomas wrote:

Or not. It has always amazed me at how backward the bay area is wrt
networking. The only one installing ftth in San Francisco is a small
company called Sonic (that I'm aware of). And it's taking them years
and years and years. The local telco's don't seem to be in any hurry,
and the cable folks don't seem to have much motivation.

As an old boss used to tell me, "Mark, it's not a problem; it's an
opportunity."

It sounds like your kids would take extreme exception to it not being
a basic service. :)

We've taught our kids some manners, but it's not uncommon for their
visitors to arrive at ours and without greeting, the first thing they
utter is, "What's the wi-fi password?"

Seriously though, does anybody even remember how we used to figure
stuff out anymore before the internet?

My neighbor's wife (then about 25 years my senior) and I were
responsible for the various VHS movies our respective homes watched
throughout each weekend - including any messages my folks wanted passed
to her and her husband when they couldn't be asked to stand up and
rotary-dial each other on the landline.

It was a nice little 5-minute trek behind the lawns that connected 3
separate houses across some 100m of nature. The good ol' days.

It's rather ironic that one of the hardest technical problems that
carriers solved was handoffs. I was involved with trying to do the
same thing over IP instead of L2 and I can tell you that it gives a
huge amount of appreciation for what those folks pulled off in the
'70's. But now it's not a very big deal. It's kind of niche need. A
useful niche and glad to have, but it probably would not have been
engineered if we had high speed internet then.

My Swedish friend and I are constantly arguing about IP vs. TDM; strict
rules vs. flexible innovation. Even though he does really appreciate
having a regular laugh with his girlfriend 6,000km away with no fuss,
via video, on his laptop :-).

Mark.