nanog mailing list archives

Re: CloudFlare issues?

From: Ben Maddison via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2019 15:50:47 +0000

Hi Francois,

On Thu, 2019-07-04 at 17:33 +0200, Job Snijders wrote:
Dear Francois,

On Thu, Jul 04, 2019 at 03:22:23PM +0000, Francois Lecavalier wrote:

At this point in time I think the ideal deployment model is to
perform
the validation within your administrative domain and run your own
validators.

+1

But I also have a question for all the ROA folks out there.  So far
we
are not taking any action other than lowering the local-pref - we
want
to make sure this is stable before we start denying prefixes.  So
the
question, is it safe as of this date to : 1.Accept valid, 2. Accept
unknown, 3. Reject invalid?  Have any large network who implemented
it
dealt with unreachable destinations?  I'm wondering as I haven't
found
any blog mentioning anything in this regard and ClouFlare docs only
shows example for valid and invalid, but nothing for unknown.

We have been dropping Invalids since April, and have had only a
(single-digit) handful of support requests related to those becoming
unreachable.

The larger challenge has been related to vendor implementation choices
and bugs, particularly on ios-xe. Happy to go into more detail if
anyone is interested.

I would recommend *not* taking any policy action that distinguishes
Valid from Unknown. If you find that you have routes for the same
prefix/len with both statuses, then that is a bug and/or
misconfiguration which you could turn into a loop by taking policy
action on that difference.

Cheers,

Ben