nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP Experiment

From: Owen DeLong <owen () delong com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2019 11:37:02 -0800

On Jan 9, 2019, at 10:51 , Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi> wrote:

On Wed, 9 Jan 2019 at 20:45, Töma Gavrichenkov <ximaera () gmail com> wrote:

Nope, this is a misunderstanding. One has to *check* for advisories at
least once or twice a week and only update (and reboot is necessary)
if there *is* a vulnerability.

I think this contains some assumptions

1. discovering security issues in network devices is expensive (and
thus only those you glean from vendor notices realistically exist)

Not really… I think the assumption here is that you can’t resolve an issue until the vendor publishes the fix. Outside
of the open-source routing solutions (and even for most deployments, including those), I would say this is a valid
assertion. (It’s more of an assertion than an assumption, IMHO).

2. downside of being affected by network device security issue is expensive

This depends on the issue, right?

Owen