nanog mailing list archives

Re: OSPF vs ISIS - Which do you prefer & why?

From: Wayne Bouchard <web () typo org>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 23:41:50 -0700

This generally supports my own view that it depends on the topology
and the real or potential scale/scope. In my experience, IS-IS is just
all around better in a flat, highly interconnected environment such as
an ISP or other broadly scaled network. If you have a very (almost
exclusively) heirarchical structure and pretty good control over IP
addressing and can use summarization effectively, then OSPF can make
your core networking much simpler. On a small network that doesn't
look to grow at leaps and bounds, I'd favor OSPF. On a large, complex
network or a network that has the potential to grow without any sort
of predefined structure (ie, more demand based), then IS-IS is
probably your win. Note that this doesn't factor in multiple IS-IS
levels, something I don't have a great deal of experience with.
Mostly, networks I've been associated with just run one great big,
gigantic level 0, though they did also experiment with other
configurations.

-Wayne